Moving to a new country? My biggest worry?

>> Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Cell phone service.

Yup, you read that correctly. I nearly told C. that we couldn't do this b/c I would not be able to find sufficient cell phone service. R-i-i-i-i-g-h-t.

Apparently the Baja has two cell networks: GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) and CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access).

My sis. and bro. are on the GSM network with Cingular. They have a super-bueno deal, in fact, it's so super-bueno that it's not available anymore. However, what makes me feel somewhat better is that even though I'll possibly be, to use the popular phrase, "paying out the nose," at least we know that GSM is both available and reliable if I should have to get a Cingular phone.

Ok, get this - Verizon (my current and much beloved carrier) also has a GSM network, which is like $1.10 a minute. (US) (Right.)

But, they also have this CDMA network thing. The deal? Perfect. I get like 1200 minutes or something, for like $100.00 (US) a month. PERFECT. It's actually called the North America Choice plan. Only catch, I highly doubt my phone is going to work down there. Why? Uh, take a look at the map below. Yeah...right...

So, I'm crossing my fingers that when I go down there for a week or so on July 31st, that my phone works.

In all, 100%, complete honesty, I highly doubt it will work.

But! It would be a lovely and welcomed surprise if it does.

0 comments:

Post a Comment