I drove.

>> Wednesday, September 13, 2006


Ok, so it's not that big of a deal. But I drove. In Mexico.

The office is all of 2 or so miles away, so it's really not that big of deal. Still...

So my sister lives on a hill, a very steep, cobblestone hill. (We can call it a mountain, b/c I think that what it is.) Let's just say, Bullet did NOT want to go up the hill. At all. (I was originally in second gear attempting this.) So, I rolled down the cobblestone hill to a better starting point (praying that no one was coming UP the hill) and proceeded to gun it - in FIRST gear up the hill.

Male friends: Did I do the right thing? How, do I get my manual transmission VR6 VW Jetta up the hill safely? I would appreciate your comments.

Female friends: If you know how I can do this safely - I'm highly impressed. Shed some light, por favor.

I keep thinking to myself, if the Domino's pizza delivery weedwacker/motorbike/thing can do it, so can I.

4 comments:

Wrestling Kitties 10:55 PM  

According to T:

T. says that must be one F'n steep ass hill and the cobbelstones don't help - YUCK!

So he said that basically don't run it in first the whole way up - it burns out your clutch/transmission/damage to engine. (we don't want to do that to bullet!)

He suggests starting it in first and as you start to get moving put it in second and maybe even third depending on the hill er.... mountain (whichever gear you prefer to use for snow and stuff would be good for this).

He also said don't ride the clutch (disengage the clutch when switching gears).

He said if that doesn't work then park at the bottom of the hill, hehehe!

Hope this works! :-) (YAY bullet is with you!!)

Ky • twopretzels.com 12:05 AM  

Dear J. & T:

Yikes. This makes me nervous.

I think that when I was going up the hill I went WAY to fast in first gear. (Hence the burning smell.) But, when I was 1/2 way up it and switched it to second, it wouldn't even go.

What happens if I go SLOWLY up the hill in first gear?

Junkyard 4:37 PM  

Ok here is the be all end all guide to driving on steep hills. Take your time and climb in first. DO NOT shift this has the potential to destroy clutches. From memory I would day that letting the motor turn around 2500-3500 rpm would be fine. Don't keep your foot anywhere near the clutch just take your time. Glad to see bullit made it. Any other questions drop me a note. Toodle-oo Junkyard. Like you said slowly in first.

Ky • twopretzels.com 6:33 PM  

Thank you, Junkyard. I shall try that tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Post a Comment