Today

>> Tuesday, November 28, 2006


My sister (with whom I live) and her BFF left for San Diego today. I am here with Chloe, VeggieBurger and Marianna. (Brother B. leaves for T-town tomorrow a.m.) So, it's me and the kids until Friday afternoon/evening.

Anywho, Mena (the all-espanol speaking housekeeper-o-my-sister) pointed out when I got home (in Spanish, of course) that Riley (the semi-delayed intelligence-wise puppy rottweiler) ate poinsettias (I think that's poisonous) and that we're out of food.

So, she wrote me a grocery list. In Spanish. FUN! It's like a high-school Spanish class project. Here is what is said:

  • pan bimbo (white bread, "Bimbo" brand)
  • leche galen (gallon of milk)
  • toallas para limpiar (this one stumped me for a few. paper towels)
  • jamon (ham)
  • bolonia (bologna. Thank goodness for cognates)
  • brcoly (broccoli. duh)
  • coliflor (cauliflower)
  • manzanas (apples)
  • carne arrachera marinada (huh? I had to ask the guy at the store about this one. It's some sort of meat. Like steak, all cut up or something.)
  • pan amburguesas (hamburger buns)
  • pan hot dog (hot dog buns)
  • pure tomate de cajo (2) (2 cans of tomato sauce)
  • cilantro (YES! it's English AND Spanish)
I did it! How fun. :-)

Added bonus, the cashier and I had a conversation in Espanol, as well. (Definitely the longest one I've ever had with a Mega cashier.)

Me: Hola (Hi)
Her: Hola, come estas? (Hi, how are you?)
Me: bien, y tu? (Good, you?)
Her: Eres Americana? (Are you an American?)
Me: Si, pero vivo aqui. (Me, but I live here.)
Her: En San Jose? (In San Jose)
Me: Si. (yes)
Her: Hablas espanol? (You speak spanish?)
Me: Poquito. Apprendiendo. (A little. I'm learning.)
Her: Bueno. Practica mucho. (Good! Practice a lot!)
Me: Si. (Yup.)

Another random grocery store note:
I no longer get all nervous when I have to pay in pesos. I'm handling the currency much better. Before, I would just pay with the largest bills I had -- so I wouldn't have to count out correct change. However, now I'm totally getting better.

**Sigh**


FUN!
I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

0 comments:

Post a Comment