Labor Day 2006

>> Monday, September 04, 2006

First off - I'm alive and well. I'm at the office and the internet JUST appeared. From heaven.

To sum up the past several days, I'd like to quote my brother:

"No satellite.
No electricity.
No internet.
No hurricane."

--

It was the weirdest thing, you guys. Just weird. When all of the reports were saying that Los Cabos was being pummeled, we weren't. Instead, our neighbors to the north, La Paz and another town, were SLAMMED. Hardcore. 125 mph winds and all. People are missing. Mudslides, you name it. Us? We were graciously spared. Why? God was good to us.

We got rain and wind, but didn't get nearly what we expected. I recognize that we're lucky. However, it's still very early in the hurricane season. Let's just say, the hurricane shutters won't be put away just yet.

My overall [random, as always] thoughts:

  • Hurricanes, and the preparation of, are exhausting physically and emotionally.
  • Preparation is the way to go.
  • Worrying gets you no where.
  • My husband is great.
  • Generators are loud. As my sister said, "It's like listening to your neighbor mow his lawn. Constantly." For infinity.
  • Love Actually is a fantastic movie. Hitch is a great movie. Elisabethtown was a quirky, yet enjoyable movie. Yours, Mine and Ours was a "never-need-to-watch-again" movie.
  • Being in a home with one's family, for an extended period of time, is actually quite comforting.
  • I find it nearly impossible to live without my cell and internet access. (At least in Cabo.)
  • Forecasters/news media have no idea of what they speak/write. No clue at all.
  • I officially loathe the smell of wet towels.
  • We cannot, cannot, cannot ever control all of our circumstances. So, when we surrender to that truth, and decide to make the best of the situation -- all things work together for good.
Thank you to all who called, emailed, called C. and checked up on me. Your love was felt. Really.

So - this Hurricane John chapter is officially (as far as I'm concerned) closed.

1 comments:

Traci 5:43 PM  

So happy to hear that you guys were spared the brunt of H.J. And you are right, the weather forecasters don't seem to get much right at all. I really think they just forcast the weather by the toss of a coin - "Hmm...heads, category 4 hurricane and tails, category 2. Yep, sounds good to me!"

Again, glad you're safe!

- traci :)

Post a Comment